Sunday, December 18, 2011

Caleb's Birth Story: The Final Chapter :-)

So, now that I've got my epidural and things are progressing, I started to get a little apprehensive about giving birth to a baby. The reality started to set in that this thing was going to happen, that in less than 12 hours I would be pushing this baby out (um, ouch) and that I would be in charge of a human being. At the same time, I began to get REALLY excited to meet our little guy. We would finally get to meet this little man that we had seen rolling around in my stomach and who I had been feeling kick/hiccup/stretch for nine months!

After I got my epidural, Jon and I settled in for a little sleep. Unfortunately, the epidural gave me the shakes (unless I really focused on my breathing - in, 2, 3, 4, out, 2, 3, 4) and I still felt pretty nauseous. But, we hunkered down anyway. I slept on and off in increments of about 20 to 30 minutes, being woken up by mini waves of nausea until around 6 a.m., when they came in to check me again. At that point, my doctor came in, having just delivered another baby, to give me a verdict.

I was at a 6.5! Hurray! However, since I had been in labor so long, my doctor was now putting a deadline on our kiddo. She told me she would give me another drug for the nausea that would also put me to sleep. I was instructed to sleep until 11, at which time they would check me again. If I was fully dilated and the baby had dropped, we would push him out, and if he wasn't and I wasn't then we would have to go for the C-section.
At this point, I really felt that we were bound for a C-section. I mean, this kid hadn't wanted to drop EVER. So, I figured, there was no way he was going to do it now. But, we prayed about it, and before I knew it, I was out like a light. (Thank goodness for drugs!!) If I hadn't gotten that 5 hours of sleep, I don't know how I would have survived.

The next time I woke up it was 10:45 and I was starting to feel this odd sort of pressure down "there." I let the nurse know and right around 11 she checked me. Praise the Lord! I was at a 10!! So, the nurses started prepping the room for the baby while the pressure just kept building for me.

Around 11:15, they had me do a practice push to see where the baby was sitting so that they could give me doctor an idea of when she would need to be there. So, push I did, and they were really surprised to find that he was pretty much right on the verge of making an appearance.

Again, leaving me to the mounting pressure, they left to call my doctor to tell her to get there soon and to also call the NICU team. Since Caleb had been in my womb for so long, there had been a decent amount of macomium in the amniotic fluid. In the event he had inhaled any, they wanted a team in there, just to make sure they could take care of him.

At this point, all I really wanted to do was push with each contraction... but I sat waiting, doing my best to breath and keep my mind elsewhere.

Right around 11:45, the nurses had me push again because the doctor had said she would be there around noon. When she walked in, she saw me push once and told me he was going to be right out. So, she put on her baby-catching gear and got ready to, well, catch a baby. I pushed probably a total of 7 or 8 times from that point. There was only one point where I started to cry a little bit, only because the combination of the pressure and the exhaustion was starting to take it's toll. But, both Jon and my doctor assured me that he was "right there" and to keep going.

At 12:28 p.m., Caleb Jonathan Lemmon made his grand entrance into the world, making himself known by filling the delivery room with some extremely loud wails. He was a little bigger than anticipated (the doc estimated 8 lbs. and he was almost 9 at 8 lbs. 14oz.),  and an average length at 21."

As the doctor laid him on my chest, both Jon and I were crying (along with Caleb), and Jon got to cut the umbilical cord. The kiddo was nursing like champ and the nurses had brought me food within the half hour (thank goodness, because I hadn't eaten a good meal in 2 days!) And in just over an hour we were being transported to our recovery room.
Proud daddy
The labor and delivery experience for me was really not a bad one. In fact, if I could just have skipped that one whole day on Pitocin, I think it would really have been rather perfect. I didn't experience overwhelming pain at any point, and despite my little moment of getting sick, felt pretty good (relatively speaking). I only needed two stitches, so even the pain in recovery was pretty minimal.

And, in the end, we have our perfect little boy (who, I can't believe, is already 2.5 weeks old!!).


  1. I just found your blog and realized our LO's are only weeks apart, so of course I had to check out your birth story. ;-) What a great post (err... set of posts, haha)!

    I look forward to following the rest of your little guy's adventures!


Comments literally make my day. Maybe week even. So, bless you.